Friday, March 8, 2013

Bit by Bit - Chapter 11, Part 4

Trey Smith

Then, although the whole world joins in rewarding good men, there will never be enough reward; though the whole world joins in punishing evil men, there will never be enough punishment. Huge as the world is, it cannot supply sufficient reward or punishment. From the Three Dynasties on down, there has been nothing but bustle and fuss, all over this matter of rewards and punishments. How could people have any leisure to rest in the true form of their inborn nature and fate!
~ Burton Watson translation ~
I reward myself for walking the straight and narrow by allowing myself to fall off the track. When I catch myself straying, I punish myself for my indiscretions and promise to return to the middle path. I walk this road for a while and then I allow this process to start anew. Such a tumult!

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.