Friday, September 23, 2011

Joe Bucks

I think I only met Joe Bucks one time. He was a very strange feline, but he had been my brother's constant companion for many, many years. Joe Bucks died suddenly yesterday morning and my brother, understandably, is a bit distraught.

As I have chronicled on this blog, it has been a rough two or three years in our household on the pet front. We have lost to death 4 dogs and 1 cat -- plus another cat disappeared. But the situation for Della and I is categorically different than it is for my brother, Sean.

For one thing, Della and I have each other to share the grief with. As a single man (without too many friends), Sean sits in his domicile alone. Each time one our pets died, there remained other animal companions in our home and we have been able to channel our grief into more doting attention on the survivors. Joe Bucks was Sean's sole animal buddy.

Anytime a being that has been an integral part of one's family departs -- for whatever reason -- it can be very difficult to cope with the void left behind. Personally, I think it's even harder to deal with when that departure has been sudden and unexpected.

My thoughts are with you, bro!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, RD, for the inspiration and thought...and all the good mojo I can muster to Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you'll read this, Sean, but I'm sorry that your cat died.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.