Saturday, July 11, 2009

Looking Up

You know, I often find it very interesting how each blog post takes form. There have been many occasions in which I've set off to make a specific point or highlight a specific observation, but the post itself goes off in a completely different direction. This is one of the reasons I habitually state that the words themselves are in charge. While I would like to think that I am the sole creator of the thoughts found here, I'm beginning to think I'm merely a conduit for something larger than myself. (Note: I'm not making this claim for me alone. I think it may well be true for each of us.)

In my last post, I intended to discuss authority figures juxtaposed against this notion of shared human ignorance, but Tao took me elsewhere. Therefore, I'm going to try again. I guess we'll all know by the end of this entry if this is the direction the words want to go this time. ;-)

We live in a world beset with hierarchy. Regardless of which rung on the ladder any of us occupies, we're always told that there are others on higher rungs. We are each conditioned to the idea that the individuals above us have more knowledge in their field or discipline than we do, so in important matters, we must look to them for guidance.

Not only must we heed their advice, but, in many cases, we are encouraged to cede all power and decision-making authority to them willingly. Consequently, in matters of spirituality, we're trained to think we can't find "God" on our own terms and that the only way we can find the path to eternity or salvation is through the institution of religion.

Inherent in this social conditioning is the idea that humans KNOW better than other sentient beings and some humans know better than others.

But how is this premise changed if we entertain the notion that all human-based knowledge is a mere contrivance and we each are as competent in our level of ignorance as the next person?

Well, it changes the whole dynamic dramatically! What this could mean is that no other individual's insight is any more or any less worthy than our own. It could well mean that we each have the comparable ability to touch the universal oneness or essence of existence. It could mean that no clergyman, deacon, guru, rabbi or sage genuinely can intercede on our behalf as we seek to understand the great beyond.

This is the basis of Taoism and, to some extent, Buddhism. While the Abrahamic religions posit that we each are so flawed that we must be led by the hand every step of the way along a central path, Taoists refute this notion of original sin and believe that no other person has the power nor knowledge to lead us toward our own individual paths. It would be tantamount to the blind leading blind.

As Marx wrote over 150 years ago, cast off your fetters. If you want to find God, Allah, Jehovah or Tao (or any other supreme power), quit looking up. There's nothing there.

Look all around you and inside. If true knowledge exists, that's where you're most likely to find it.

5 comments:

  1. Hello again RT, While some may find great joy in disagreement, I, on the other hand, really enjoy the feeling I get from finding common ground.

    I so agree with you on this. I believe we each have our own voice. And that voice is the only one that can truly lead us to Source, The One, God, etc. In fact I believe that voice to be the voice of Source, The One, God, etc.

    I'll go further with this and say that all of our pain here, individual and collective, is a result of not following this personal voice.

    We come here, voice intact, and we learn from parents who don't know how to listen to their own voices, not to listen to ours. And the not listening continues through out the lives of most people.

    Those who find peace and self love have chosen to love and trust themselves enough to find their voice, value it and follow it, no matter what.

    Once again, thanks for the inspiration and for having me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sometimes had the same experience of starting a post meaning to say something and then ended up saying something totally different.

    Even when I was a Christian, I was aware that I would have to face judgement on my own, that I can't just say to Jesus, "Excuse me, that's what my pastor told me. Sorry if I got the wrong message from You, but blame it on him, not me."

    Many Christians just throw the responsibility for their eternal salvation on another man. Even if that man is a Pastor or a Reverend, he is just as fallible, or even more fallible, than they themselves are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its ironic you post something I knew as a child and was thinking about a few days ago.

    I never accepted that someone knew something about the unseen more then the next person.

    As a child I refused to believe any form of religion. My journey started a few years ago for my path, Taoism led me to it.

    I am a gura, master, or anything else, I'm trying stay on my path. I've never needed anyone to tell me about The Way.

    Your post are my thoughts, I don't bend my knees for man in the name of God, I never trusted man in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to say I am not a gura or master in the last post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne,
    As always, you add a richness and depth to my (not so) original thoughts.

    Temaskian,
    Yes, the pastor made me/lead me to do it is a common scapegoat. Of course, the biggest scapegoat of all is the imaginary Satan!!

    Robert,
    It's interesting how thoughts and ideas can dovetail. Often, what you write on any given day on your blog, is something I was thinking about already. I think to myself, "How did he know?!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.