Tuesday, November 12, 2013

One Last Time, Part 2

Trey Smith


I am back in South Bend for my last overnight stays. I will pull out of here tomorrow or Thursday and any future return trips will be day trips only. I sold our refrigerator yesterday, so I am having to my make due with a small cooler. Our washer and dryer may be leaving today.

While there is no question that this whole process has wreaked havoc with my emotional state, I have utilized one coping mechanism that -- to this point -- has minimized the anguish: I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the predicament itself. Because I am a very task-oriented type of person, I consciously have focused almost all of my mental energies on all the tasks before me. As I check one off my list, my attention immediately focuses on the next one.

At some point, however, I will finish these tasks and it is then that enormity of the situation really will hit me. I am very close to that point now. I started to get a bit weepy last night, but I was so exhausted that I basically collapsed in bed. When I awoke this morning, I had more tasks to focus on, so the maudlin feelings will have to wait a day or so before they can overwhelm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.