Monday, June 3, 2013

Lack of Zs

Trey Smith


Each of us possesses our own set of unique traits and quirks. One of mine is that, when sick with a bacterial or viral infection, I don't sleep. This appears to be opposite of most other people I know. When most of my family members or friends come down with something, they come home and go to bed. I may be IN bed, but sleep evades me.

As I have noted in my few posts of the last 2 or 3 days, I have come down with a virus that is making the rounds in South Bend. From Friday night through Sunday afternoon, I may have slept a total of 3 or 4 hours. That's it! This lack of sleep makes it difficult for me to concentrate on much of anything because I feel punch drunk. I just sort of sit around in a haze as the world moves around me.

But here is what I find the most interesting. Due to a lack of adequate sleep, one might think that I have a difficult time getting over an illness. When fighting off an infection, one of the requisite things our bodies need is adequate sleep. And yet, I tend to get over illnesses faster than most people. It doesn't make a lick of sense!

In talking to folks around town, I've learned that most people have been down for nearly an entire week with this virus. The general symptoms of head and chest congestion, sneezing, coughing and feeling generally rundown lasts for 7 - 10 days. Me? I felt altogether crappy for 2 days. My head and chest are already clearing out and, except for the fact I'm exhausted for lack of sleep, I am already feeling much better and I will probably be back in the saddle again today or, maybe, tomorrow.

I'd write more, but I need a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.