Saturday, May 18, 2013

On (Not) Being "Queer"

Scott Bradley


While writing the previous post, "By Nature Warped", it struck me how applicable avoiding the straightening board and embracing one's 'warpedness' is to the LGBTQ community. Their liberation has a lot to teach us all; listening to the testimonies of those who have 'come out', one thing seems to always stand out -- a personal liberation from inner conflict.

But then I also began to worry that you might think that I am gay. I apologize that that should matter to me; my own liberation to true SNAG-hood ("Straight New-Age Guy") is still incomplete.

Not long ago I was listening to the local community radio (serving "The Ridge", supported by "anything 'green' hydroponics", by way of ensuring its liberal credentials) when the announcer made reference to LGBT's and Queers; I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. I expected apologies for an enormous mis-speak, but none was forthcoming. Since then I have heard others proudly declare themselves "queer". What is queer? I'm dying to know. Whatever it is, more power to you.

Until I am informed otherwise, I am going to assume that "queer" refers to those who have fully embraced who they are and don't give a damn what others think of them. If this is the case, then I would like to declare myself an aspiring queer.

Since space remains, I'd like to share a personal anecdote. Years ago, while in seminary, I was reading the bulletin board and saw an announcement for a meeting promoting the ordination of gay ministers. An acquaintance standing beside me declared himself for it. "Practicing gays!" I exclaimed. "No," he replied, "ones that are really good at it." Amen.

You can check out Scott's other miscellaneous writings here.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent and fun post!

    Queer, you know? means gay. At least everywhere I've lived.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.