Sunday, April 8, 2012

If Only

Trey Smith


As we awaited word -- any word -- about my niece's condition over the past 24-hours or so, it was hard not to feel anxious. I know I had a difficult time getting comfortable last night and, because of that, I didn't sleep very well. At one point, I thought to myself, "If only I believed prayer did any good..."

Of course, I don't believe that prayers make any difference. People pray all the time for important and trivial matters. There is no substantive evidence that prayers have any impact on outcomes. It might make some people feel better, but that's about it.

I suppose there is one other important aspect of prayer; it makes people feel as if they are making a positive contribution to the situation.

Let's face it. None of us likes feeling powerless when a friend or loved one is in danger. We want to be able to jump in to protect and/or help them make it through their trials and tribulations. When we unable to assist in this sort of way, it often leads us to feel inadequate.

When faced with a situation out of our hands, prayer provides many people with the feeling that they still have done something to ameliorate the particular circumstances that have befallen themselves or someone else. It's a mechanism that provides a sense of active participation when there really is no opportunity to participate.

I know that my sister-in-law and my niece's many friends had a big prayer circle early this morning. Since my niece pulled through her surgery, I'm sure many of them fervently believe that their prayers were answered. If my niece had not pulled through or she dies in the coming days due complications, most all of the people in the prayer circle won't say that God didn't answer their prayers. No, they'll say that God simply decided it was time to bring her "home."

That's why I didn't pray. I don't think there's anyone up there listening and I don't think that prayer makes a damn bit of difference. Life is a crap shoot. Sometimes we win and sometimes we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.