Friday, September 2, 2011

I Am So Sleepy

My inflamed left hip is s-l-o-w-l-y on the rebound (meaning it hurts less). X-rays earlier this week showed no additional deterioration. As my doctor remarked, the hip is in bad enough shape as it is and so it doesn't take much to irritate it.

While I have been able to chuck the cane while puttering around the house, I still walk with a very noticeable gimp in my gitty up. I do make use of my walking assistant while out in public because the leg tires quickly.

The biggest problem I am still encountering is that my left hip, knee and leg seem to hurt more when I am in a reclined position. To make matters worse, I have been favoring my right leg so much to compensate for the weakness on the left that it is now aching too. Because both legs hurt, I can't find a comfortable sleeping position!

The upshot is that I'm not getting enough dancing sugar plums in my head. It takes forever to fall asleep and I find myself waking up 5, 6, or 7 times per night. I've employed several strategies to try to mitigate this circumstance -- ice, heat packs, a warm bath and painkillers -- but nothing seems to help.

I haven't had more than 6 hours of sleep per day in over 2 weeks and so I feel more and more like I'm stuck in a proverbial fog while awake. I haven't been writing as much on this blog (good thing I tend to write several days ahead!) simply because I haven't been reading a lot. I lack the ability of focused concentration!

I know this situation will pass at some point, but, until then, just call me The Rambling Zombie. ;-(

2 comments:

  1. Take some Melatonin. Its the hormone your body produces when in darkness and is supposed to trigger the beginning of the sleep cycle. It helps me sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too shall pass, but it is a pain in the ass until it does.

    I "feel" for you.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.