Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Parallels

Religious devotees have a tendency to codify their teachers' wisdom, but in doing so they turn living truth into a pale transparency of itself. The moment anyone's teachings become packaged for mass consumption, the essence of those teachings will become lost to one degree or another.
~ from Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, and Lao Tzu: The Parallel Sayings by Richard Hooper ~
While I am very opposed to the institution of religion, I am not opposed to the philosophic underpinnings beneath any of the major religions. The way I see it is that all people in all civilizations have struggled with the same basic questions.

Why are we here?

How did this world come into being?

What is the purpose and meaning of my life?

Is this one life it or is there something beyond?

Is there something or someone calling the shots?

Over the course of this day, I will choose 4 concepts explored by the book cited and then share the parallel sayings from these 4 great religions/philosophies. My sole purpose is to provide readers with some food for thought.

1 comment:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.