Saturday, April 9, 2011

False Advertising

Why is it so important to study products in the marketplace? Because a good deal of 'em try to lure you in via false or, at least, deceptive advertising. The only sane way to approach most consumer products is as a skeptic, lest a person get duped time and time again.

Here is one example of what I'm referring to. About one week ago, my wife and I were shopping at our local grocery store. One of the items on our list was dryer sheets. When we arrived at the appropriate aisle, I looked over the different varieties to figure out which was the most cost effective. As I looked over the two that best fit within this category, my wife indicated she would prefer the one that stated on the front of the box, FREE OF DYES & PERFUME: Hypoallergenic.

So, we purchased the Cuddle Soft Free & Clear (Sun Products) dryer sheets.

Flash forward to today. For some odd reason, my wife was looking at the box of these dryer sheets. On one of the end panels, it lists the ingredients. The second ingredient listed is perfume. How can a manufacturer state on the front of box that the product is perfume-free if perfume is one of the ingredients?

Of course, the answer is: Manufacturers can do this because...manufacturers can do this. Since no one is stopping them, most do it with abandon.

3 comments:

  1. No offense, but who needs dryer sheets? I haven't used these, or fabric softeners, in years. I think they are up there with hair conditioner...really, what's their point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use them for one reason and one reason only: pet hair. In a house dominated by 2 dogs and 2 cats, we get a lot of hair on our clothes. The washing machine gets rid of some of this dander, but we've found that a dryer sheet in the dryer helps to remove about 99% of what is left after the wash cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess not having any allergies, I've just learned to live with the cat hair. (Productive, aren't they?) Thanks for clarifying.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.