Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Circuitous Tale

I'm no slouch when it comes to vocabulary. I have the capabilities to tease out complex arguments and discussions. During my college years, I earned two B.A. degrees plus a Master's in Social Science (Political Philosophy emphasis). But for all my education and mental abilities, I much prefer a "straight to the point" writing style -- not the kind one tends to find in books written by academics and scholars.

I mentioned back on July 28 that I had started reading Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett. I have been trying to plod my way through the book ever since. While there's no question in my mind that Dennet is a capable and, sometimes, engaging writer, I've found that he simply takes too darn long to get to the point! The first 100 pages of the book amount to nothing more than a rather long-winded introduction.

To be quite honest, books like this one frustrate the hell out of me. While there are indeed many great gems and insights contained within, this author seems to take a tortuous and circuitous route to lead one there. In many cases, an argument that he painstakingly lays out over 10 pages or so could just as easily been told in a paragraph or two.

Consequently, I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, I want to put the book down and move onto something else in my large book pile. However, each time I think I'll move on, I read one of those great insights and this spurs me to plod on a bit longer. Over the next several pages, I again think that this book is not for me, only to find another gem that spurs me on.

I'm still unsure if I'm going to make it all the way through the book, though.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you Trey.

    As you know I write in a pretty direct manner. Every once in awhile I will be accused of writing in a way that ignores the complex arguments of blah, blah, blah. There is the assumption that unless your post is akin to a college thesis there is something deficient about it.

    We need the Dennett's of the world, academics love writers like him. But, most people will never wade through a book of his. (and they shouldn't feel guilty that they haven't)

    Why has Bart Ehrman been so successful? His writing style makes complex issues accessible to the average person.

    I prefer simple and direct. Probably because that is how I am personally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce,
    I LOVE your writing style. It's open, frank, honest and you get to the point in short order.

    Reading your posts is like skipping through a lush green meadow on a sunny day. Reading Dennett's is like trudging through brambles and thickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you give us a simple and direct summary of his thesis? It sounds interesting. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,
    His underlying thesis is that religion -- like any other human phenomena -- can be studied. How & why did it originate? What benefits does it confer on this biological species?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.