Monday, November 23, 2009

Real Life Tao - Flirtin' With Disaster

Flirtin' with disaster, baby,
Ya'll know what I mean.
You know the way we run our lives,
It makes no sense to me.
I don't know about yourself or,
What you plan to be - Yea!!
When we gamble with our time,
We choose our destiny.

~ lyrics from the song, Flirtin' With Disaster by Molly Hatchet ~
As touched on in the previous post -- Wen Tzu - Verse 37, Part II -- the way we choose to live our lives plays a crucial role in the health and longevity of our bodies. For far too many of us, Flirtin' With Disaster seems to be our anthem!

When our minds and bodies constantly are out of sync, we generate undue amounts of stress and tension that affects both. Stress is the great enemy of any machine. An overstressed mechanism wears out before its time and is prone to breakdowns along the way.

I can certainly attest to this fact in my life. As I've detailed in many posts on this blog, I tend to be a very anxious person. Anxiety creates tremendous amounts of stress and all my stress seems to settle in my colon. The result is that I've had a lifelong battle with chronic constipation.

Being constipated fuels a seemingly endless cycle. Waste is held in my body longer than it should which causes the overall system to feel sluggish. My colon becomes very tight which causes pressure on my diseased left hip and discs in my lower back. The muscles and nerves around the hip and discs become inflamed which exerts more pressure on the lower third of my colon and this pressure backs up my digestive system even more! Round and round it goes!!!

The worst part of this whole scenario is that, even though I am learning now to lessen my overall anxiety, it doesn't seem to be translating into better colon elasticity. I'm afraid that I've waited too long to make needed changes in my life because my body appears to have set down its own protocol as to how it will function. In other words, I forced the flow of my colon to alter its course and it now seems to have become comfortable in its own channel. :(

Since that's probably more information then you wanted to know about my digestive system, here's a video of Flirtin' With Disaster!



This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

2 comments:

  1. HI R T

    Great song - thanks for sharing it!! And yes, anxiety is quite volatile -

    If I may make one suggestion - they sell a product at Health Food Stores called "IBS" caps. If you get a moment,check them out.

    "Happy Thanksgiving"

    Love Gail'
    peace......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail,
    I've tried all sorts of different strategies and none works that well. I eat a high fiber diet and drink lots of liquid -- that doesn't seem to help that much either.

    Have a safe holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.