Saturday, October 31, 2009

Every Inch

I had planned to write verses 3 and 4 of the Wen Tzu last night, but every inch of my body is screaming in pain. Yesterday afternoon we received a cord of wood for our heating needs over the winter and, let me tell you, I didn't realize how much wood is in a cord!!

We store our wood under the house in a protected basement and, unfortunately, our fenced backyard does NOT allow easy access. Consequently, the fellows who sold us the wood parked their truck behind our back fence and chucked the wood over the fence into one humongous pile in the middle of our back yard.

Because heavy rain was in the forecast tonight -- and it's raining very hard right now -- we couldn't leave the pile there and it was far too large for our tarp. So, hobbled me and my wife spent 3 or 4 hours hauling the wood from the yard to the basement. Initially, I was wheeling it into the basement with a wheelbarrow, but I realized we weren't making enough progress, so I ditched the wheelbarrow and simply chucked piece after piece after piece from the middle of the yard through the open basement door.

After taking a thirty minute break, I spent another 90 minutes stacking most of the wood in the basement. We were able to get roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of it out of the elements and tarped the rest.

Of course, once I finally stopped for the day, every joint in my body started to tighten up. It's now very probable -- based on numerous past experiences -- that I will be virtually lame when I get up in the morning. On the bright side though, we have more than enough wood to get us through the entire winter and probably the spring too.

I'll try to keep this thought in mind when I'm bitching and moaning in the morning. : )

6 comments:

  1. All those uncarved blocks.

    I wood of helped you carry all the load but I had a lot in my log and couldn't leaf anything off it, I was forced to stick by it. I may branch out into stem research and see if we can get to the root of your issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY R T

    Ya, we had our cord delivered a couple weeks ago. I have pictures on my blog of the 'pile' before it was stacked and how nice it looked after it was all stacked up nicely. :-)

    Sorry your body aches - soak, soak, soak in hot tub, it helps.

    Love you
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of rest, ice, and ibuprofen to you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My solution was rest, heat and more rest. I try to take as little pain meds as possible since they can be hard on one's liver and I take prescribed low-level steroids (which can be hard on one's liver too).

    ReplyDelete
  5. do some stretching! it will help the tightness slightly. also it seems counter-intuitive but LIGHTLY working your muscles again the next day (followed by more stretching and a hot bath) will greatly help!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.