Monday, September 14, 2009

So You Want to Be a Sage

As we continue the series through the TTC, one concept pops up over and over again -- the Sage. What qualifies a person to enter the corps of sage-ness?

From my perspective, a sage is a person who both understands and embodies Tao (the Way) in her or his life. It is a person with a minimal ego who seeks to benefit and nurture the entire community in a peaceful and compassionate way. Such an individual may not speak often or loudly, but when they do speak, everyone around knows it comes from the center.

I would also submit there are few, if any sages, amongst us. All of us can have sagacious moments and, hopefully, those of advanced age have learned much wisdom along their path, but I think it's a real stretch to place the crown of sage on such people's heads.

Take moi, for one example. I dispense a lot of good insights, analysis and advice from this blog. While I certainly wouldn't say that I'm an expert on the TTC, I do have a fairly good handle on it. I believe I'm offering something of value with each post, particularly the ones that speak to philosophical Taoism. So, while I can be quite sagacious, at times, I fail miserably in my attempts to embody the entirety of Tao in my life! (Remember, I'm the guy with extreme social anxiety who must follow rigid patterns each day in order to cope with the world around me!!)

And I think the same can be said of most people. It's one thing to understand the concepts and their application; it's quite another thing to live them!!

For me, the principles of Taoism are ideals to strive toward in an intuitive manner. It's not a question of following a prescribed recipe or rulebook, but effortlessly going with the flow. Our egos are the main obstacle that block the flow and cause us constantly to swim against the current.

More importantly, the person who sets out to become a sage never will. It's completely unlike trying to win a race or get that big promotion. If your aim is complete sagacity, then your ego is the driving force and true wisdom will forever evade you. The best any of us can do is to try to live a simple life that embraces the Way as much as possible. The person who can succeed in this endeavor through wu wei is a wise person -- a sage -- indeed!

5 comments:

  1. definitely! i struggle to live sagaciously as well, although i understand and agree with the teachings of the tao for the most part. i have a large will and a large ego that makes me constantly stubborn and prideful. and also i am the least patient person i know! i also know many wise people in my life but none i would elevate to sagehood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every person I've ever met has foibles and shortcomings. A person may excel in most areas, but there are always others in which they struggle. However, I'd say you're ahead of the curve simply because you readily admit to your own foibles. There are a lot of people out there who COULD be wise if only the person would admit that he or she is an imperfect person like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philosophy practiced is the goal of learning. - Thoreau

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps the secret is focusing on attitude rather than actions.

    I'm not trying to preach, btw, I'm trying to learn, to figure out how to go from theory to practice. Again, if I worry about relaxing, being happy, taking it easy, perhaps the right actions will follow. I've got to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Practice stillness, the wuji principle, and amazing things begin to happen. Well, not actually amazing, but rather ordinary, but with a difference.

    I'm referring to zhan zhuang or zazen practice, and not struggling, but allowing to be.

    Observe yin and yang, the five elements; and heaven, man and earth, etc in the everyday interactions that surround you - just observe.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.