Sunday, August 9, 2009

Taoist Meet Up

Recently, while visiting the website for True Tao, I noticed a new feature -- the ability to attend a Virtual Meeting of the group. It piqued my interest, so I signed up here. Yesterday I received my logon instructions via email and this morning from 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. I joined approximently 30 individuals from around the world as we got to "sit in" on the meeting conducted in El Monte, California.

I must say I liked the streaming video format. The first person to speak, Bill Bunting, talked about applying Taoist principles to real-life situations using an unfortunate circumstance of his own for the learning experience. After a five minute break, Derek Lin spent the next hour talking about verse 27 of the Tao Te Ching. After another short break, Carmen from Seattle began her presentation; however, I didn't hear much of it because my dad called.

While I enjoyed the whole experience -- and I plan to return next Sunday for part II of the discussion of verse 27 -- the highlight for me was getting to hear and learn from Derek Lin. He is the translator for one of the versions of the TTC I'm utilizing in my ongoing series. He writes a column entitled Tao Living and, over the past decade, I've learned much from this contemporary Taoist sage.

On Wednesday, I will cover verse 27 of the TTC in this space and some of the commentary will be derived from today's meeting.

So, if any of you are available from 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. pdt on Sundays and you are interested in learning more about Taoism/Tao Te Ching, participating in this virtual meeting might be something you'd like to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.