Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Only the Lonely

Many people experience loneliness and fear being alone because of it. The sage sees the true cause of loneliness, which is losing your sense of oneness with the world around you.
~ Today's Daily Quote from the TaoWoods Center ~

I know a lot about today's quote -- loneliness used to be the hallmark of my life. Because of Asperger's and Klinefelter's Syndrome, I've always been an exceedingly odd duck that rarely meshed with people in social situations. I can remember many a time when I felt very lonely despite the fact I was in the middle of a large gathering!

Needless to say, I've spent far more alone time than most people. In my youth and young adult years, it was agonizing. I so longed to be one of the gang, but I knew I never would be. For the longest time I didn't know why and this made the loneliness that much worse.

But, somewhere along the way, I decided not to allow the situation to bug me. I still spend the vast majority of my hours alone, but it no longer makes me unhappy. In fact, I now cherish my monastic lifestyle because I see the oneness of it all and realize that I am connected, regardless of how social I may not be.

(It also helps that I have a new virtual family of sorts -- all of you!)

2 comments:

  1. HI R T

    Lonely? I am never lonely although I am alone often. I understand well feeling separate. I also know well being part of end involved. Each has a purpose. I plan for quiet days alone and I plan for time to commune. Balance, balance, balance........

    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not feel alone, I'm alone. SOME MANTRA TO HELP ME ?. THANKS

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.