Friday, February 13, 2009

Can't See Straight

I've spent the better part of the past three days looking for used cars on the internet. I bet I've pored through several hundred ads. It's amazing how expensive automotive transportation has become! I can remember, only what seemed like a few short years ago, when an inexpensive new car could be had for $10,000 or less. Nowadays that barely covers an old clunker!

Of course, the wife & I have barely enough money to buy a tonka truck or a matchbox car. There's no way in the world we could afford payments of more than $25 per month and you can't even buy a clunker for that meager amount. So, my parents are going to buy a car for us.

That's an amazingly generous gift on their part. I'm very thankful that they're are in a position to help in this way -- my father is an attorney. Having a working vehicle is critical for my wife's employment. Still, while I certainly will not turn down the offer, I feel a bit uncomfortable about it. As a mature adult I'd like to pay my own way in life, but my disability makes this harder and harder to do. (At least, I finally won one of my disability cases which means I'll soon get to go to the doctor for the first time in 3+ years!)

We've decided on a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5. It's a very small car with a hatchback. It doesn't come with a lot of options, but it gets great gas mileage. It's summer yellow, so, if it turns out to be a lemon, it will look like one. :D) If it turns out to be a reliable car, then it will look like the top banana.

I'm hoping for the latter.

2 comments:

  1. Travel is expensive and a car is essential to people in some locations and with certain needs. I just get by on the bus fortunately it meets my needs.

    I was interested when my wife did an essay for college "your friend has money for a car or a holiday - write an essay on which they should buy and why"

    While many would see a car as the investment and a holiday as a passing extravagance, my wife argued strongly in favour of the holiday - it offering pleasure and good memories. The car was seen a a money pit with taxes and various expense and concern.

    But good luck to you, you sound like circumstances mean you need a car. So good for you for choosing economy over extras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! If I lived in an area with a quality mass transportation system, I might have replaced it with an electric scooter or nothing at all.

    But the bus system here is minimal and there is no taxi service (except for the disabled -- something I will soon get to take advantage of). So, a vehicle becomes a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.