Sunday, December 28, 2008

When Going Mad Makes Sense

At times, I'm struck with a deep melancholy. I look out at a world so filled with wonders and promise, yet humanity is so filled with tension and strife. Rather than seeking ways to come together in cooperation and love, far too many people seem bent on hate and destruction. I often feel like a Don Quixote tilting at windmills!

What tends to deepen my blue moods is the fact that, when I suggest to others that there are other roads to travel, they look at me as if I've gone mad. Such and such is the way we've always done things, they say. Why mess with a good thing?

Far too many of my brethren don't genuinely see that the old standard ways a) were not that effective in the first place and b) are leading humanity and the planet to ruin. Yet, try as I might (and several of you continue to try as well), it sometimes seems like I'm yelling at a deaf person.

So to buck up your spirits and mine as well, here are the words to the "Impossible Dream" from the film, Man of La Mancha.
To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star
~ music by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.