Saturday, November 29, 2008

Was Ist Das?

Last night my wife & I watched one of my all-time favorite movies on AMC. It has been quite awhile since I viewed it completely from beginning to end. It was released in 1963 and it's star won the Oscar for Best Actor -- well-deserved in my opinion!

However, I don't think this splendid film would play well in 2008. It is missing all the elements that most moviegoers look for in a film. There is no violence, gratuitous or otherwise. There are no sex scenes -- not even a quick kiss, touching embrace nor longing looks. There is no "chase" scene, though a car does play a role in the plot.

It's not really a drama because there is no build-up toward an all-powerful climax. It's not a comedy, even though there are many lighthearted moments. And it's not a musical, yet one song is key to the storyline.

Do you know which movie I'm referring to? If not, you'll find the answer here. (You'll better understand the title for this entry.)

It's a beautiful film and one I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.