Sunday, December 10, 2006

Three Cheers for Lust, Gluttony & Sloth

For reasons I can barely fathom, my wife likes to watch the TV show 7th Heaven. In tonight's episode -- of which I watched very little as I finished my supper -- TV dad Rev. Stephen Camden gets a glimpse of what heaven will be like. In one scene, he's offered all the various foods he's had to give-up due to a heart condition. He gobbles down every last morsel.

From the many Christians I've known and spoken to over my life, this brief scene sums up what most believe heaven will be like -- all the trappings of this life with none of the guilt!

Yes, all of the things that we have been told are bad for us or to stay from are now fair game. You like to engage in sexual indulgence? No problemo! Choose any partner you want or as many as you want (and don't worry about pregnancy or STDs). You've earned it, bud. You're in heaven now!

Are you a gambler? Bet the family fortune every time -- You can't lose!

Tired of housecleaning or picking up after yourself? Don't worry 'bout it! What do you think them angels are for?

On and on and on...

For me, this kind of thinking is completely irrational (and more than a bit self-indulgent). If some omnipotent entity informs us that certain acts or behaviors are bad or negative, what difference does it make where you happen to be? I mean, if these activities are big no no's on earth, wouldn't it also follow that they'd be doubly bad in heaven -- in the house of the Father?

It just appears to me that too many folks view heaven as nothing more than an adult-rated Romper Room.

Good thing I don't believe in the concept of heaven at all.

3 comments:

  1. Heaven and hell are all in your attitude about your life as it exists here and now. To believe you will be rewarded or punished after this life for your behavior in it now is a bit silly, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I always thought that Heaven would be wall to wall book shelves, sort of like a glorified Lending Library without return dates or fines. But then I like to read. I mentioned this to my dad once, and he said that I'd probably find my grandad in there in the section marked Scottish History.

    Of course, strictly speaking, as a Taoist, I don't actually believe that Heaven or Hell exist. But I must admit that wall to wall books is a tempting thought! :-))

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.