Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thank You Snake!

Thank You Snake!
by Scott Bradley


Today I held the most beautiful little snake — a sharp-tailed snake. They are relatively rare, but I knew they were around. I was picking up cedar bark for the garden walkways and there he was, showing his black and white striped underbelly in some sort of defensive display. Above, he was coppery-brown with highlights of russet like veins in some ore. His tiny scales were so smooth he flowed like water. He was about six inches long and as wide as a worm.

I felt the urge to keep him, to make him my own (as I would have done as a child), but instead let him glide from my hand back into his home beneath the bark.

Thank you snake!

You can check out Scott's other miscellaneous writings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want. We may respond...or we may not. It depends on the mood and preferences of the specific author of the post. Ta-Wan generally responds in a timely manner. Trey responds some of the time and Scott rarely replies (due to limited internet access). You can be assured that all comments are read by this blog's two administrators: Ta-Wan & Trey.