Saturday, June 11, 2011

Getting Nosy

While scanning the headlines early this morning, I noticed that quite a bit is being written about the release of Sarah Palin's emails while Governor of Alaska. I haven't read any of the scintillating revelations because the overall topic doesn't interest me that much.

But here's one aspect that really gets me. Several conservative groups are up in arms over the mainstream media's interest in these communiques. They almost sound as if they are upset because all this attention represents some sort of an invasion of privacy.

At the same time, many of the very people who are foaming at the mouth because media people are scouring over these emails are the same individuals who support the so-called Patriot Act and other federal initiatives to spy on everyday American citizens!

Why is it that it's being downright nosy to want to see the records of an elected public official, but it's not nosy at all to force libraries to release lists of the books you or I check out? Why is it okay for the government to intercept emails that you or I might send to a friend or Aunt Bertha?

I'm just asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.