Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dog's Day

The folks finally arrived in early evening. We led them to the RV park where they will be staying. Upon our arrival, we noticed this huge chocolate Labrador Retriever ambling about. As soon as I got out of the car, he made a beeline for me. Within a matter of seconds, we were cavorting around like old friends.

Later we went out to dinner at a local eatery. I had trouble eating my meal because a) their was a group at a table behind me and b) more people kept straggling in. I rarely eat out and, of course, I hate crowds.

The irony of this evening isn't lost on me. Though fully human, I have a great deal of trouble mixing with my own kind. They make me very nervous and, if my nerves get the best of me, I'm prone to severe panic attacks. However, if the strangers are animals -- particularly dogs and cats -- I feel right at home. It's like I've never met a dog or cat (except pit bulls -- I don't trust pit bulls) that I couldn't warm up to.

In my own neighborhood, I'm friends with all the pets, yet I hardly know their "owners." It's weird, but it's just the way I am.

1 comment:

  1. What is it about animals that makes you so much more comfortable with them?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.