Saturday, August 14, 2010

Blocking Out

Today, as we ran errands in this 95 degree heat, we drove past a gentleman biking through town. Actually, I had to drive out of our lane to avoid hitting him. He seemed to be lost in his own little world and not paying too much attention to anyone else or all of the vehicles whizzing by.

As I looked in my rear view mirror, I noticed he had earphones on and so I assume he was listening to something on an IPod or another device of that sort. I've noticed that many of the people in cars also wear ear or headphones. Personally, I don't think this is a wise idea.

Mind you, I have nothing against listening to music or the spoken word. I fall asleep every night listening to the radio or CDs. No, my problem with this type of behavior is that, in seeking to block out distractions, the method employed becomes a distraction all its own!

In regards to cycling, noises (for those with adequate hearing) can warn us of impending danger. If you're pedaling along and you hear screeching tires or someone blasting their horn, it should cause you to look around quickly to assess the situation. When you're lost in your favorite song, it may take a split second or two to snap out of your own little piece of nirvana. That split second or two might mean the difference between averting disaster and having it fall into your lap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.