Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tao Te Ching Revisited

It's been several months since I last featured the text, commentary and analysis of the Tao Te Ching (or Daodejing). I am thinking about launching a new series on it in the near future. This one would differ from the last one in that all of the commentary would come from other people. My working title is Daodejing: In Others' Words.

When I undertook my own series on the Tao Te Ching, it certainly wasn't an original idea. I found on the internet several other such efforts, though, surprisingly enough, many of these efforts never made it through all 81 verses. The series would be launched, but somewhere along the way, it would just stop in midstream.

Since my series concluded in October, I've noticed that quite a number of bloggers have launched similar projects of their own. I'm pleased to see that more and more people are exploring philosophical Taoism and how it can revolutionize how they view and interact with the world and themselves.

Since there can be no definitive analysis of the Daodejing -- it must be understood on its own terms by each individual -- the more voices that can be added and featured can only help readers by serving as a springboard for your own exploration of it.

In the end, that is the SOLE purpose of this blog! I'm not here to tell you what to think or which paths to take. That's for you to decide, not me. All I attempt to offer each of you is food for thought -- new ways of looking at things that, hopefully, may cause you to look at things differently too.

Returning to the potential new series, what I'd like to do is feature a different blogger for each of the 81 verses. That's 81 different voices. I don't know if that will be possible since, as noted above, a lot of folks who launch a series on the Tao Te Ching never see it through to its completion. I suppose we'll just have to see what I come up with.

As with ANY series I undertake, if anyone out there would like to write a Guest Post for a particular verse, please contact me.

2 comments:

  1. it's interesting saying that tao is revolutionary. i never really thought it was, for me. for me, tao is common sense especially since i live on a farm close to nature. for me, i just like talking about it but it's not a huge shock or epiphany... it just mirrors everyday life, well, aside from my own personality which is not exactly tao :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose to use the word revolutionary because, in the view of modern society, it IS a counter-cultural concept. I agree that Taoism isn't really revolutionary to most people...if they took the time to contemplate it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.