Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Health of Illness

I still don't feel very well, but I think I'm slowly mending. My appetite is coming around, so I take this as a good sign. Once I can get a bit more sleep under my belt and some more nutrients in my system, I should start feeling like my usual self.

Like anyone else, I certainly don't like getting sick. It takes me out of my routines!! However, I do see some positive aspects to illness.

For one thing, life is about yin and yang, ebb and flow. In its own way, illness teaches us about Tao. No person can constantly charge up a hill. For all our active times, we need inactive times as a counterbalance. Illness forces us to slow down and, many times, to stop dead in our tracks.

The world around us is marked by perpetual cycles of birth, death and rebirth. When we become ill, we sort of die. As our activities slow down to nil, it provides the opportunity for healing and subsequent rebirth.

Most importantly, illness should make those days we feel in better health more noticeable. Too often, we take each day for granted. We whine about the little annoyances and irritants that comes from living in this world. We lament not having this or being able to do that. However, when we compare our everyday lives to those times when we feel absolutely wretched and the microbes are doing their number on our bodies, we realize that, most of the time, things aren't half as bad as we pretend they are!

The last three weeks have represented a rather deep trough in my recent life. I've struggled mightily with no teeth and now with the stomach flu (did I mention it came with horrific diarrhea?). In particular, the last 3 1/2 days have seemed like a month long! Yet, in the overall scheme of my life, this is a mere drop in the bucket. Hopefully, by this weekend, this episode will seem like the distant past.

Every moment of our lives provides us with lessons to be learned. Wisdom is borne by those who are open to the lessons provided. We will soon see if I am sagacious enough to heed my own words. :>)

2 comments:

  1. Been to sickland just recently, so I believe I understand at least a little of how you feel.

    Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words, you're definitely on the mend. I sense a flood of posts in the next week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.