Monday, January 4, 2010

Wen Tzu - Verse 109

from Verse One Hundred Nine
People of old were sensitive but not possessive; people today are possessive not sensitive.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
The above sentence could be written today and be just as true. Particularly in western society, possession is nine-tenths of the law.

If we each behaved like we possessed the world in common, the concept of possession wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, possession far too often is individualistic, in human nature. It's what I, my family, my group, my business or my country lays claim to.

The problem is growing ever worse. There are a corporations that today are trying to lay claim to water, plants and seeds. Who knows? One day soon it wouldn't surprise me at all if we find some company arguing that it has exclusive title to the air too!

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

1 comment:

  1. The need to possess also extends to those who rail against it.
    They attempt to possess the minds of all the people too, in their obsession to force their own beliefs upon them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.