Monday, January 4, 2010

A Lesson About Anxiety

For the past ten days, I've been a bundle of nerves in anticipation of my scheduled oral surgery for tomorrow. But a funny thing happened on the way to surgery -- I caught a cold. As I mentioned in the space before, it's been years since the last time I caught a cold.

The symptoms were really bad during "Christmas" week -- sneezing, runny/stuffy nose, scratchy throat, etc. However, by the end of that weekend, I started to improve and so I thought it would have run its course by now. Unfortunately, my wife caught it at the first of last week and, by this past weekend, I picked it up again.

I woke up this morning with swollen glands in my neck, head congestion and I'm coughing up a good bit of phlegm. So, all my anxiety was for naught as I had to reschedule my surgery for February 2.

Some of you may suggest that the anxiety itself may have led to the cold and I wouldn't argue the point. Anxiety certainly can help to lower one's internal defenses and my anxiety has been acute. I may well have worried myself sick!!

4 comments:

  1. Indeed.
    It does little good to lobby for peace, when one can not secure it in oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been off of work for 2 weeks. My anxiety seems a little high and ridiculous considering I've been working here 5 days a week for 9 years. I kind of understand what you go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have a month to practice non-anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.