Monday, November 16, 2009

All Over the Damn Map

In the comments section of one of my earlier posts, a few of us have been having a discussion about personality types, particularly those on the Jung-Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) scale. Cym suggested that I take one of the free online tests and then report the results. She further suggested that I invite you to take the test as well, so we can ascertain if specific types of personalities congregate here.

Well, I took the MBTI on two different sites and this netted two different results! On the first site, Humanmetrics, my type was recorded as ISFJ. (Strength of preference percent: Introverted - 67; Sensing - 1; Feeling - 12; Judging - 33.) These results indicate that I am a:
  • distinctively expressed introvert
  • slightly expressed sensing personality
  • slightly expressed feeling personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality
On the second site, Similar Minds, my type was recorded at INTJ. (Strength of preference percent: Introverted - 70.6; Intuitive - 56.4; Thinking - 46.4; Judging - 71.4.) These results indicate that I am:
loner, more interested in intellectual pursuits than relationships or family, not very altruistic, not very complimentary, would rather be friendless than jobless, observer, values solitude, perfectionist, detached, private, not much fun, hidden, skeptical, does not tend to like most people, socially uncomfortable, not physically affectionate, unhappy, does not talk about feelings, hard to impress, analytical, likes esoteric things, tends to be pessimistic, not spontaneous, prone to discontentment, guarded, does not think they are weird but others do, responsible, can be insensitive or ambivalent to the misfortunes of others, orderly, clean, organized, familiar with darkside, tends not to value organized religion, suspicious of others, can be lonely, rarely shows anger, punctual, finisher, prepared
So, thus far, while there are some similarities in the test results, there are also some significant disparities. I next went to the site, PersonalityType.com. This site has streamlined the test by offering 4 sets of descriptions of two different lists of personality "preferences" and you are to choose the 4 sets that you believe best describe your personality. With the exception of the first set "Extroverts vs Introverts" (me an introvert), I can't really answer the other three couplets. Why? Because I find attributes in both columns that match up best with me!

For example, here are the choices for Section 2, "What kind of information do you naturally notice and remember?":

Sensors often:
  • Focus on details & specifics x
  • Admire practical solutions x
  • Notice details & remember facts x
  • Are pragmatic - see what is x
  • Live in the here-and-now x
  • Trust actual experience x
  • Like to use established skills x
  • Like step-by-step instructions x
  • Work at a steady pace x
Intuitives often:
  • Focus on the big picture & possibilities x
  • Admire creative ideas x
  • Notice anything new or different x
  • Are inventive - see what could be x
  • Think about future implications x
  • Trust their gut instincts x
  • Prefer to learn new skills
  • Like to figure things out for themselves x
  • Work in bursts of energy x
As can be readily seen via the use of the "x" mark, I agree with almost everything on both lists, even some that to most people may seem like opposites. For example, I tend to plod along at a steady pace with bursts of energy here and there. While I'm very detail-oriented, I concentrate on the details within the bigger picture. I also prefer practical solutions that are creative, in nature. So, which column do I choose?!?

This exercise highlights one of the reasons why I shy away from "tests" of this nature. My answers tend to change based on the way the questions are posed. I also don't like the way the questions are framed and I find that my answers often are dependent on variables not provided.

In the end, it generally makes me feel even odder than I already sense that I am.

ADDENDUM
Cym suggested a different test at Typologic.com. Here are the results from this one:
  • Your average score on extraversion was 2.8, which is considered low. It is in approximately the 7th percentile for males over the age of 21. Your score on Extraversion is low, indicating you are introverted, reserved, and quiet. You enjoy solitude and solitary activities. Your socializing tends to be restricted to a few close friends.
  • Your average score on agreeableness was 3, which is considered low. It is in approximately the 4th percentile for males over the age of 21. Your score on Agreeableness is low, indicating less concern with others' needs Than with your own. People see you as tough, critical, and uncompromising.
  • Your average score on conscientiousness was 4.7, which is considered high. It is in approximately the 76th percentile for males over the age of 21. Your score on Conscientiousness is high. This means you set clear goals and pursue them with determination. People regard you as reliable and hard-working.
  • Your average score on openness was 4.1, which is considered average. It is in approximately the 34th percentile for males over the age of 21. Your score on Openness to Experience is average, indicating you enjoy tradition but are willing to try new things. Your thinking is neither simple nor complex. To others you appear to be a well-educated person but not an intellectual.
I don't know anyone who would describe me as tough!

6 comments:

  1. Here's a good page for a more thorough description of each type:

    www.Typologic.com

    I am an INTJ, but for the sake of clarity, I'll retake the tests again and re-post the results, after I take a break though, as I've been on this computer today way too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, it might be fun to throw a couple of horoscopes in there too, a Chinese and a Western one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am INTJ. Everyone that knows me agrees 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I took like five different personality tests, and rated INTJ on all. However, I think dasein36, was partly right in assuming that I was more of a feeler than a thinker, because despite testing as an INTJ, I am on the borderline of INFJ, with just a few percentage points separating the two, which would explain why I am more empathic than is typical of INTJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My humanmetrics score:

    I 89%, N 50%, T 62%, P 33%

    One thing Rambling Taoist says makes me think that perhaps the more definite personalities are the ones who get into the MBTI thing, i.e. the ones who have extreme tendencies. Theoretically, the MBTI is supposed to apply to everyone: everyone has a set of preferences, and the preference itself is more important than the strength of the preference because the four preferences together determine the hierarchy of functions etc. But it looks like RT has (other than the first letter) little definite preference for one or the other. I think he probably does have a preference in each case (not to be preachy), but these are more discernible in a person like me who, e.g., *never* works at a steady pace. (So, for example, RT, do you find you come up with better ideas when working at a steady pace, do you prefer it, does it come more naturally, etc.?)

    But given that, if I recall correctly these two personality types are different from the two that you tested as on my blog, I doubt anyone but a professional will be able to nail down your type. And maybe it doesn't matter very much anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i tend to read the results and then determine by that which category i fit in, IF i fit into any at all!

    :) according to my own diagnosis i'm an INTP although like you my answers change depending on how the questions are phrased... i'm most definitely introverted because, although i like socializing, i need frequent breaks to regain my energy and balance. i'm definitely intuitive because i don't trust my senses as much as my insight. i'm about halfway between thinking and feeling although having a child has made me lean more towards feeling than normal. i'm definitely perceiving as i lean more toward chaos than order. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.