Wednesday, January 16, 2013

So Much

Trey Smith


I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: We -- our little family and westerners, in general -- have so much "stuff." Our house in South Bend is sparse for furniture when compared to most people and yet, as I continue this task of sifting through and organizing our various belongings, I am flabbergasted again and again at the volume of things in our possession.

Going through this process of downsizing (or rightsizing) really brings on the question of what people NEED into sharper focus. This is not to say that all people need the same things or that what is sufficient for me is sufficient for you. But I bet that, if you look around your house or apartment, you'll find that a good dealing of your belongings aren't necessities.

In planning our eventual move to wherever, I am trying to figure out what sticks of furniture are essential. I figure that we will need Della's bed, a table, a computer desk or two, a chair or two, a lamp, probably our antique jelly stand (it's about the only thing we own that is "valuable"), a few bookcases and, maybe, our small entertainment center for the TV. The rest of our very worn furniture will be donated to a local thrift shop or thrown out.

While the process of deciding what to keep and what to get rid of is not easy, I'm thinking I will feel better once I'm done. Having a lot of "stuff" burdens the mind because you must be ever vigilant to protect it all. With so few things left to protect, my mind should be freer to pursue other concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.