Tuesday, December 4, 2012

So Long, Hans

Trey Smith


According to an article from the Associated Press, Asperger's Syndrome or Disorder will be dropped from the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5) that is used by professionals to diagnosis mental disorders.  Instead of a separate entry, those with the syndrome will be rolled into the category "autism spectrum disorder."

Personally, I don't think it really matters all that much what professionals want to call this condition.  The more I have learned about what I live with, I'm not even sure I would call it a mental disorder at all.  It's more like a mental differentiation.  If the researchers who believe it is a neurologically-based difference are correct, then all it means is that some of us have atypical -- not negative or diseased -- brain wiring.

For me, the saddest part of this change is that Dr. Hans Asperger will soon be forgotten!  That's one of the grand benefits of having a medical condition named after you.  For generations after your death, your name lives on...but not for poor Hans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.