Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sayonara for the Big Mac?

Trey Smith


As I have mentioned before, I am a vegetarian. It's been nearly 25 years since I regularly ate meat. I don't miss it and I don't expect I'll ever go back to eating meat. While I wish that more people would adopt a vegetarian diet -- it would certainly bring down the costs of vegetarian food -- my preference would be for folks voluntarily to choose this option, not be forced into it. However, according to an article I read last week in The Guardian, the majority of the folks in the world one day may not have a choice!
Leading water scientists have issued one of the sternest warnings yet about global food supplies, saying that the world's population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages.

Humans derive about 20% of their protein from animal-based products now, but this may need to drop to just 5% to feed the extra 2 billion people expected to be alive by 2050, according to research by some of the world's leading water scientists.
While I don't eat meat, I still consume a good amount of dairy products like milk and yogurt. I have toyed with the idea of trying to go vegan, but my big stumbling block is yogurt and, to a lesser extent, milk and butter. I love yogurt and consume at least 8 ounces of it everyday. I've tried the soy versions of yogurt before and, in my humble opinion, the taste and consistency is...well...yuk!

Still, while I probably won't give up dairy yogurt completely, I have begun the practice of not eating it every day. If more meat eaters would adopt this tack, maybe meat will remain in the offing by 2050.

1 comment:

  1. I'd forgotten you were vegetarian, Trey.

    My natural preference would be to be vegetarian as well. Unfortunately I'm allergic to milk and so my diet is already restricted. When I'm eating out or at a friend's house sometimes the _only_ safe food for me is egg or meat based (especially since a lot of bread products have milk in them and many people cook or coat their vegetables with butter.)

    But don't eat meat every day and when I do eat it it tends to be a side dish nstead of the main course. My body cannot handle a 100% vegan diet but for health and moral reasons I do limit how much of it I have.

    I agree with you on not liking soy yogurt, though. It's not delicious at all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.