Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mencius - Book 2, Part 1, Chapter 2B

'Mang Shih-shê had this way of nourishing his valor: He said, "I look upon not conquering and conquering in the same way. To measure the enemy and then advance; to calculate the chances of victory and then engage: this is to stand in awe of the opposing force. How can I make certain of conquering? I can only rise superior to all fear."

'Mang Shih-shê resembled the philosopher Tsang. Pî-kung Yû resembled Tsze-hsiâ. I do not know to the valor of which of the two the superiority should be ascribed, but yet Mang Shih-shê attended to what was of the greater importance.

'Formerly, the philosopher Tsang said to Tsze-hsiang, "Do you love valor? I heard an account of great valor from the Master. It speaks thus: 'If, on self-examination, I find that I am not upright, shall I not be in fear even of a poor man in his loose garments of hair-cloth? If, on self-examination, I find that I am upright, I will go forward against thousands and tens of thousands.'"

Yet, what Mang Shih-shê maintained, being merely his physical energy, was after all inferior to what the philosopher Tsang maintained, which was indeed of the most importance.'
~ James Legge translation via nothingistic.org ~
Go here to read the introductory post to this serialized version of the Works of Mencius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.