Thursday, June 14, 2012

Nursing the Children into War

Ta-Wan

A collector stands outside the train station weekly. Always a smartly dressed, respectable looking man. Collection box in hand he is collecting for The Salvation Army. In my whole life I'd never before noted that The Salvation Army is a religiously-devoted organisation, I'd hardly given them a thought.

The pieces of the picture came together silently in my mind and I now find myself drawn to speak (but fortunately more drawn to hold thoughts). I feel myself walking over to the nice gentlemen and saying:

"The majority of war is in the name of or encouraged by religion. You are using the fall outs of war to draw on people's compassion to give you money to support your religion. This, I hope you can see, is a self-perpetuating cycle that you, by standing here, fuel. You are justifying religion, and so the (often bloody) divide of a globe of people, over fictitious ideas."

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.