Sunday, April 15, 2012

untitled 2005

Ta-Wan


I can't hide my disappointment. When I saw this piece of art called Untitled 2005 by the late Australian artist Stephen Birch I was blown away at the genius. "Yes!" I exclaimed "Brilliant" "It is the fictitious God looking down from fictional heaven at the fictional Spider Man. How clever, what sagacious wit."




But no. It is just an untitled piece of pop-art "asking you to question your pre-built ideas that Spider Man is physically perfect and may," shock horror, "be in truth, quite normal, with a saggy bum." He faces some "worm like character" (not god).

Quite lame. I'd love this to have been a jibe on religion, and to me, it still is. After all, art is for the viewer to appreciate and interpret.

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.