Monday, March 19, 2012

Wear It Well

Trey Smith


Here is something I have never understood. Why is it that, whenever I read a news article about someone appearing before a judge in court (particularly for an arraignment), the reporter goes to great pains to describe what clothes the person is wearing? Why is this considered so damn important? Who cares!

To offer but one example, here's what a Reuters reporter had to write about William Bryan Jenning's day in court:
Jennings, wearing a blue blazer, white shirt and royal blue tie, entered the pleas in Stamford Superior Court.
Did you get that? His tie wasn't simply blue -- it was royal blue. I'm utterly shocked we weren't informed how many buttons were on his shirt! Without this crucial information, how can I arrive at knee-jerk decision as to whether he's guilty or not?

While describing a defendant's dapper attire is one thing, my eyes roll back in my head when I am told that the defendant appeared in court today in a prison-issued orange jumpsuit. Ooh! Now there's vital information. What in the heck did the reporter expect the defendant to be wearing?

A suit of armor?

A Halloween costume?

A Ku Klux Klan hood?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.