Friday, February 10, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 58, Line 12

Therefore the sage is (like) a square which cuts no one (with its angles);
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

Therefore the sage is sharp but not cutting,
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Therefore the sages are:
Righteous without being scathing

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

The Masters have sharp minds,
not sharp tongues.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
I really like the way Ron Hogan distills this line. It points to an issue I've struggled with for most of my life. I tend towards a sharp tongue and a sharp pen! My brother often has told me that I was rather infamous in my younger years for cutting people down with words, not fists.

Let's be honest. No one likes being harpooned by another. I know it makes me uncomfortable or angry when I am the recipient. So, these days I try -- imperfectly, of course -- to walk in another's shoes to see how my words might feel from their point of view.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.