Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Review: The Master

Trey Smith


Over the past few days, I've shared some snippets from The Master: Teachings for Enlightenment by Chao-Hsiu Chen. This book is not a translation of an earlier work, but a story written by a person in our time. It is not a Taoist book per se; it draws its inspiration from Buddhism, Taoism and Zen.

It is the story of a master sage and his pupil as they travel throughout China. It invokes many of the images of old. It talks of finding one's path in life and how the pupil one day becomes the master.

It is a book that will go on my short stack of those I will reread from time to time. It is a beautiful story told in a most eloquent and poetic way. I loved everything about this tale...except the ending. That's the one part I didn't get. Maybe, at some later point, I'll have one of those aha moments, but I didn't have that this time. My reaction was more like, "Huh?"

If one or more of you has read this book or, after reading this review, decides to read it, please leave a note in the comments section about what you think of the ending. Maybe it is something so simple and obvious that it somehow just skirted over my head! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.