Friday, January 13, 2012

Socks, Socks and More Socks

Trey Smith


Do you remember back long ago when it was discovered that Imelda Marcos had something of a shoe fetish? She eventually opened a museum which featured hundreds of pairs of her expensive footwear.

Well, I'm here to tell you that I have a similar fetish. It's not shoes; it's socks. I probably own more pairs of socks than any other item of apparel.

My socks come in a variety of colors and patterns. I have cotton socks. I have wool socks. I have cotton-wool blends. I even own several pairs of women's knee-highs!

Mind you, there is a rational reason behind this seeming fetish. As a result of degenerative disk problems in my back as well as my Fibromyalgia, I suffer from neuropathy in my feet. My feet get numb and cold very easily. So, to try to ward off this problem as best I can, I almost always wear at least two pairs of socks at all times.

When I'm merely puttering around the house -- which is most of the time -- I actually wear three pairs of socks. The first pair that goes on is a cotton-wool blend.

On top of that is a pair of the women's knee-highs. I like these socks for two reasons: 1) They are stretchy and clingy which helps to keep the heat in and 2) Men's socks tend to be so drab, but women's socks come in bright colors and snazzy designs. The pair I'm wearing right now features bold stripes of neon pink, white and black.

The third pair of socks are thick wool ones with extra padding. I wear them in place of slippers and to bed every night. On most days, this regimen keeps my feet warm.

If I'm wearing shoes, I skip step 3 simply because there's not enough room in the shoe!

I was putting away my clean socks in my drawer last night and I realized I probably have 25 or 30 pairs of socks. That's a lot of footwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.