Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Unknowing

Ta-Wan


Person 1: "I don't know so I put my faith in God. Assuming that some folks before me with active imaginations had it right. The added bonus here is that I may skip hell and get to live in heaven!"

Person 2: "I don't know so I just work for what I want. Work hard, get more. I'll leave behind good works and good kids and in that I'll be happy."

Person 3: "I don't know so I take pleasure in substances and flesh. I take all drugs imaginable, am rarely straight, drink a lot and get as much sex with as many people as I can to maintain my high. And what's to stop me?"

Person 4: "I don't know so I follow the media, my schooling and my parents. I trust my friends and their opinions really matter to me. I'm up to date with fashion and TV so I feel like I'm living well."

Person 5: "I don't know so I dropped out of society, I travel and hang around with like minded people in mountains and on beaches around the world. I'm upset with the common man and the destructive path of humanity."

Person 6: "I don't know so I follow the traditions passed down to me that have served my family well for generations. In this way I don't need to concern myself with thinking too much, I just follow what they all did before me."

Person 7: "I don't know so I follow traditions old and new to gain me some release. I hope to better myself or realize my full potential and perhaps even gain an ever lasting blissful enlightenment."

Person Me: "I don't know and so I have cast aside knowing as a valuable asset. I have either investigated things to their core to realize their emptiness or dismissed them for other reasons such as how they contradict other ideas. In doing this I have left myself free of the concerns of the mind. I have no ritual, no materialistic anchor, no peer pressure, no family order, no goal, no where else I'd rather be, no social inertia, no addictions, no desires, nothing to prove. And so I can walk freely in unknowing."

No one knows. Many are trapped by belief they know something. Many due to unknowing result in following some path or another that is not truly theirs.

Unknowing for many is no release at all. It can be though the ultimate freedom of the Chen Jen.

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

3 comments:

  1. Person 3: "...am rarely straight..."
    So, is being gay or bi particularly considered an excess of the flesh, an attempt to escape unknowing?

    Person Me: "...walk freely in unknowing."
    I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're misunderstanding the use of the word, straight. In this instance, I take it to mean "rarely sober." It is not referring to a person's sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes straight meaning sober.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.