Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Have you ever done a thing?

Have you ever done a thing?
Ta-Wan


Did you decide to take up residence in your mothers womb?
Did you decide to open your eyes? Did you decide to see shape and form? Did you decide to hear?
Did you decide that sprouts would taste bad?
Did you decide when to start walking?
Did you decide that you'd be pulled towards earth and not repelled?
Did you decide when to have the best day of your life?
Did you decide when to have your most embarrassing moment?
Did you pick the right apples at the market?
Did you choose whether to pass or fail your test?
Did you know by the second when thunder would strike?
Did you decide which color would be your favorite?
Did you decide by the decimal place when to sleep?

Did you ever do a thing?

Do you have one example of where you ever dictated a single thing in your life?

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

5 comments:

  1. Your listing of examples is very convincing that there isn't a free will and I think in most situations a person doesn't consciously make decisions. I do think you can take this type of thinking to the extremes though. Do people that commit rape and murder participate in making a choice? Is a person that switches political parties making a choice of their own? If I choose to give to a certain charitable organization am I directing my will? If I am planning on taking a vacation and I choose going to Belize over two other options am I exercising making a decision of my own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is one. There is no one to make a choice.*

    Can examples be provided to prove otherwise?

    (*There is also then no one to be a fatalist either.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you really believe this, really act like this, how do you live? Do you take no responsibility for your actions, no pleasure in your daily affairs? How can you be employed? How can you raise a child? Love a friend?

    No, I didn't choose to be born here and certainly not with the body I have, but I am here and I act like it. I make choices all day long, within the limits of my situation, which is not the same as your situation.

    Are you saying everything is predetermined? Or not determined at all. Please elaborate how the "no self" notion is lived. Unless there is no self to do the elaborating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does the tide remember to tide?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tsunami alert!!! Just go with the flow!!!

    I think I will craft my response to your non-repsonse in a publishable post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.