Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yes, Sometimes Size Does Matter

While doing some grocery shopping in the vast metropolis of Aberdeen last week, I headed down one of the aisles toward the section for my favorite refrigerated fruit and vegetable juices. As I neared the display, the bright signs indicated that my favored juices were now available at lower prices!

I looked at the assembled varieties and it was no lie. Across the board, the prices were 15 - 20 cents less.

However, unlike many people, I immediately noticed something else. The juice containers were smaller! They had been completely redone to feature a less bulky appearance and brighter labeling, but a quick examination showed that the containers were filled with 3 - 5 less ounces of juice!

The upshot is that, while the price per container is indeed lower, the price per ounce has increased significantly. I passed on purchasing any juice.

As prices continue to climb, we consumers need to pay close attention to gimmicks of this nature. If not, we will continue to be the unwitting dupes the corporate powers already we believe we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.