Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Interesting Night

Last night was rather interesting. First, I had one of those long and drown-out discussions with a self-righteous fundamentalist Christian. Just about that time I extricated myself from that, I was propositioned -- something that doesn't happen very often to a person like me.

If a person wants to believe in a god, there's no much I can do about that. If it helps them to cope with life, fine. But I get so tired of these holy rollers telling me that I am too proud of myself to be humble before the Lord. If only I would accept that I am an awful sinner who needs to be saved, God could then be the center of my life.

For the most part, I don't know of a lot of atheists who run around proselytizing their non-belief to religious believers. I didn't walk up to this person and say, "There is no god and left me tell you why." A lot of religious adherents -- like this fundamentalist -- have no qualms about telling you all about their "good news."

What really got me this time (and it gets me most of the time) is the disconnect between knowing and faith. The woman I talked to last night KNOWS there is the Christian God. When I heard this I said, "Oh, so you have no need for faith." Oh no, she said, my faith is what has saved me.

I pointed out that faith is believing in something that a person can't know for sure is true. If she KNOWS that God exists, then it isn't a mere belief and faith is not needed. This line of reasoning didn't compute in her head and so she walked away saying she would pray for me.

As this conversation was ending, an extremely inebriated local young woman came staggering into the parking lot of the local mini-mart. She immediately recognized that I was the unnamed friend of Paul, the owner. She was speaking slurred gibberish and decided that she needed to talk to me pronto.

I guess being a former social worker made me stick around to see what wild things would come out of her mouth. We sat there for a good 20 minutes as I listened to her discuss a wide variety of subjects in an incoherent manner. At one point, she leaned over and said, "Don't you get my drift?" I said no; I didn't have the foggiest notion what she was talking about.

She then told that she was hitting on me, trying to pick me up. She wanted to know if I would be interested in banging her bones. Until she made that direct point, it hadn't occurred to me that she was flirting with me. (As an aspie, I often miss out on these sorts of obvious clues!) I thought she had zeroed in on me because I was Paul's friend.

I respectfully declined.

As a married bloke, I'm not looking to have intimacy with anyone other than my wife. Even if I was interested in that sort of thing, I think the last person in the world I would want to hook up with would be a woman who could hardly stand upright!

All in all, it was an interesting night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.