Thursday, June 16, 2011

Man on the Moon

Man on the Moon
by Scott Bradley

Mike: "Did you know there will never be a full moon again?"
Scott: "No, that's news to me. How so?"
Mike: "The Apollo astronauts brought some of it back to Earth! Ha, ha, ha."
This caused a smile, but also made me think of something else new about the moon. There is a golf ball on the moon. I find this somehow disturbing. There is, of course, lots of human trash now on the moon -- rovers and flags and sewage(?). But a golf ball seems unnecessary even if the rest is not.

There is nothing holy about the moon as far as I know. (Though many Muslims refused to believe that man actually went there since the moon is of particular importance in Islam.) It's just that I like to look up at the night sky and not see more of the human hive. I can't see the golf ball, of course, but I know it is there. What's more, there is a lot that I can see. Satellites are constantly coming into view. The Space Station is the brightest object in the night sky besides the (diminished ) moon. Airplanes and contrails are ubiquitous. So, it's near impossible now to escape the hive and commune with nature in the raw.

Ah, but here is a gorgeous fungus digesting a tree which nature fell. I will commune here. And renewed in thankfulness and awe in the great Wonder, I will commune with the hive, its golf balls and its computers.

You can check out Scott's other miscellaneous writings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want. We may respond...or we may not. It depends on the mood and preferences of the specific author of the post. Ta-Wan generally responds in a timely manner. Trey responds some of the time and Scott rarely replies (due to limited internet access). You can be assured that all comments are read by this blog's two administrators: Ta-Wan & Trey.