Sunday, May 15, 2011

What Moves Me

What Moves Me
by Scott Bradley


I have suggested that all we are and do is 'Tao', and that there are, therefore, no conditions to meet to be one with Reality. This includes our favorite bogey-man, the ego-self. Some have taken this as simply my way of avoiding dealing with self, a justification for 'bad' behavior.

Being, as I am, a very 'bad' boy, this does have its appeal. In experience, however, it does not work out that way. I find that when I tentatively realize the reality of this Unity, self somehow drops out of sight. There does not seem to be room for the self-contained self and Unity. One way to metaphorically explain this is: I am not 'Tao'; 'Tao' is me. Yes, even Senor Self is an expression of 'Tao', but he cannot realize himself as such. It's like that proverbial bubble on the sea -- it is itself the sea, to be sure, but to realize that is to be a bubble no more.

This is, I think, essentially what Zhuangzi tells us when he has Yan Hui say, "Before I find what moves me into activity, it is myself that is full and real. But as soon as I find what moves me, it turns out that 'myself' has never begun to exist." (Chapter 4; B. Ziporyn)

You can check out Scott's writings on Zhuangzi here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want. We may respond...or we may not. It depends on the mood and preferences of the specific author of the post. Ta-Wan generally responds in a timely manner. Trey responds some of the time and Scott rarely replies (due to limited internet access). You can be assured that all comments are read by this blog's two administrators: Ta-Wan & Trey.