Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Relating to Myself

Last Friday -- after Blogger had experienced an approximate 36 hour interruption -- I wrote the following:
I easily can relate to this situation. There have been numerous times in my life when I performed routine maintenance or decided to tweak something slightly and then all hell seemed to break loose...
I was up all last night because something I tried to tweak on my computer didn't go as planned and all hell broke loose!

Since I switched over to Linux Mint, I solely have used the Package Manager -- a built-in program for adding or updating software and core components -- because, as a Linux newbie, I was unclear how to do this any other way. Later, as I learned how to use the Archive Manager (fileroller), I still tended to shy away from using it instead of Mint Update because I didn't want to take the chance that I would royally screw up a program or worse.

But the other day, I decided to give the Archive Manager a try. I had read about the wonderful new features of Firefox 4 and I knew it would be several weeks before the Mint community got around to packaging a Mint-based version.

I got the file downloaded, unpacked and extracted. Everything appeared to be going well. I opened the program and I was immediately impressed with several of the improvements over Firefox 3.6. I was feeling right proud of myself for learning a new skill that I certainly could make use of in the future.

My beaming pride lasted...until I left my computer to go downstairs to wrangle up some grub. Upon my return, as I moved the mouse to remove the screensaver, I soon discovered a serious issue: Firefox no longer responded to my mouse commands and only a very few keyboard commands as well.

I closed the program down and reopened it. Everything was back to normal and it worked fine...until the next time the screensaver came on and the very same problem presented itself. Mind you, my mouse was recognized by any other program I used; this issue was specific to Firefox 4.0.1.

I won't bore you with the litany of diagnostic rigmarole I went through to try to fix this problem. Suffice it to say, nothing worked. Each time I thought I had supplied a remedy, the mouse issue would soon rear its head again.

Since I didn't employ the Package Manager to download the program, I was unsure how to uninstall it. I finally managed to accomplish the feat, though I am supremely confident that I didn't do it in the proper way! After another hour or two of tinkering around under the hood, I was able to reinstall Firefox 3.6.17 and reload all of my various tools and preferences.

Needless to say, I will stick with this version until 4.0 pops up in Mint Update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.