Friday, February 4, 2011

The Simple Way, Part 58

The Simple Way
The Life & Teachings of Zhouzi
by Scott Bradley


A sage stood before Zhouzi and said, “Master, I have heard you speak of Tao. What is this Tao?”

Zhouzi sat silent as a stone, his eyes seeing nothing. So long was he silent, some of the monks began to fidget. Finally, he rose, laughed and said, “You have slapped me awake and shaken off the moss! Please honor us and take this seat!”

Taken aback, the sage exclaimed, “Master, if you have awakened it was by way of your own open heart! And it is I that would learn of you. For though I sense what it is to which you have awakened, I see it not.”

“Then we shall learn together,” replied Zhouzi. Then turning to the assembly he said, “What is Tao?!” I do not know! Only I vanish therein! What is not Tao? Root, trunk, branch! Twig, bud and bloom! What is not the Vast Mystery? What is Tao? Our moment together, here and now! It is every way you take!”

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here. To check out more of Scott's writings, please visit TRT's shadow blog and look in the Table of Contents in the left sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.