Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chapter 2, Part 6 - Chuang Tzu

But here now are some other sayings:-- I do not know whether they are of the same character as those which I have already given, or of a different character. Whether they be of the same character or not when looked at along with them, they have a character of their own, which cannot be distinguished from the others. But though this be the case, let me try to explain myself.

There was a beginning. There was a beginning before that beginning. There was a beginning previous to that beginning before there was the beginning.

There was existence; there had been no existence. There was no existence before the beginning of that no existence. There was no existence previous to the no existence before there was the beginning of the no existence. If suddenly there was nonexistence, we do not know whether it was really anything existing, or really not existing. Now I have said what I have said, but I do not know whether what I have said be really anything to the point or not.

Under heaven there is nothing greater than the tip of an autumn down, and the Thâi mountain is small. There is no one more long-lived than a child which dies prematurely, and Phang Tsû did not live out his time. Heaven, Earth, and I were produced together, and all things and I are one. Since they are one, can there be speech about them? But since they are spoken of as one, must there not be room for speech? One and Speech are two; two and one are three.

Going on from this (in our enumeration), the most skillful reckoner cannot reach (the end of the necessary numbers), and how much less can ordinary people do so! Therefore from non-existence we proceed to existence till we arrive at three; proceeding from existence to existence, to how many should we reach? Let us abjure such procedure, and simply rest here.
~ James Legge translation via Stephen R. McIntyre ~
Go here to read the introductory post to the chapters of the Book of Chuang Tzu.

1 comment:

  1. The blog is in reality the great on this worthy subject. I match in together with your conclusions and looking forward to your coming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be enough, for the fantastic clarity inside your writing. I put a link to your blog at my site, hope you don't mind? The blog is in reality the great on this worthy subject. I match in together with your conclusions and looking forward to your coming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be enough, for the fantastic clarity inside your writing. I put a link to your blog at my site, hope you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.