Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Soon the Ringing Will Stop

I have been an eligible voter for 35 years. In all that time, I can't remember an election that included so many doggone recorded phone messages supporting or opposing candidates or ballot measures. In fact, both my wife and I think that we've received more political robocalls this year than in all the previous campaign seasons combined!

Just last week we received several dozen, including ten on Friday. It got to the point in which we quit answering the phone and allowed every call to go to voice mail.

Neither of us understands WHY almost every candidate and group opposing/supporting a ballot initiative thinks that these robocalls would sway a thinking person. I have never changed my opinion about a candidate or ballot measure due to anything said in an automated message, though I suppose a lot of others do (?).

Of course, after today, we will also be able to reclaim our mailbox at the post office and be able to watch TV or listen to the radio without being constantly bombarded with negative attack ads.

No wonder average folks like us have grown sick of politics. All these campaigns are enough to drive a person batty!

3 comments:

  1. I've had a different experience in my area. Lots of political snail mail, about two-thirds of my daily mail in recent weeks, but relatively few telephone calls. Last election cycle I remember receiving many more phone calls. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I receive any kind of a robocall I simply put the phone down on the counter and let them talk to themselves until I hear the "hang up the phone beep-beep-beep...".
    Hopefully my action will save one more person down the line from receiving these annoying impersonal calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerard,
    That's interesting. Maybe we're receiving more calls because our senate raise is thought to be one of the pivotal ones in the country.

    Andy,
    Sounds like a good strategy, but I don't think anything can save us from such calls. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.