Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Derivations on a Theme - Certain Uncertainty

Sometimes I think I could write one of these derivation posts each day solely on the poetic prose of HK Stewart at Christian Taoism. He almost always provides me with ideas to ponder. Today's gem is entitled Face to Face.
The safest way forward
is not always the truest path.

The bitterest fruit
is not always the worst meal.

The calmest lake
is not always the smoothest sailing.

Look below the surface
and come face to face with the Divine.
Life can be such a challenge! As HK points to, appearances and initial reckonings aren't always all they are cracked up to be. What may look to be the most productive path often turns out not to be.

Some people will advise you to listen to your internal voice or intuition, but intuition isn't always spot on.

Some people will say that you should size up each situation rationally and choose the best logical choice. Unfortunately, because we each come at life from a finite perspective, we are unable to discern every rational variable.

Some people will tell you that prayer is the best counsel, but the message that we hear necessarily filters through our own biases and prejudices.

Some people will urge you to utilize meditation to figure out which way is up and which way is down. However, the meditative mind must communicate with the active mind and there often can be a distinct disconnect between the two.

So, how does one figure out the proper path? There is no tried and true formula. A particular strategy may work perfectly right now and yet result in dismal failure 10 minutes later!! Another technique may have a woeful track record, yet, every now and then, may work to perfection.

About the ONLY thing I am certain of is the uncertainty of this life. Each time I think I have a part of it all figured out, life kicks me in the butt and laughs.

I'm slowly learning to laugh with it.

2 comments:

  1. yep, this is very true! often i listen to my head when i should go with my gut, or let my heart guide me when i should be using my brain instead! i guess that's why elders are respected in a lot of cultures- only time and experience will prove when to use what method. either way, the way we interact with the world around us is imperfect, so it makes sense that we often receive a lot of false or confusing information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Trey. I love seeing where you take my little meditations.

    This post reminds me once again that life is always an adventure. (No wonder we keep showing up for it.)

    H. K.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.